If you noticed that your roof looks worn out, a good idea will be to ask a West Chester roofing professional if you should patch it or change it. In this case, you need to call Expert Roofing of Westchester for free consultation and estimation of the works involved.
How do I know if my roofing job is bad?
When visiting the attic after a rainstorm, if you notice any puddles or moisture spots on the floor or ceiling, most probably the roofer was not a professional one. Or if you see any missing shingles after a brief thunderstorm, you can suspect a substandard roofing job.
Fake roofers are everywhere, but as a homeowner, you should look for a few things when the contractor is handing over the project:
- Existing drip edge – the metal flashing installed at the edge of the roof and over the gutter will prevent the water from reaching in between the fascia and the shingles. A missing drip edge will lead in time to water damages and mold infestation due to a continuous damp area below the roof.
- Uniform appearance – a simple visual inspection will show you if the roof was equally installed. A bad installation of the support beams or the roof decking will cause an uneven look and in time will lead to roof damages.
- Singles nailing – rusty nails in time will corrode and will not hold in place the shingles. Also, an overdriven nail which is sunk or buried in the shingle is another sign of an experienced roofer. All pins should be appropriately aligned to ensure the integrity of your roof.
There are several types of materials that a West Chester roofing expert will use, each presenting certain benefits. Depending on your budget and the type of roof your house has, you can select one from below:
- Asphalt – is the most common option of the homeowners in the US due to its acceptable durability and accessible price. Asphalt shingles comprise of two different technologies: fiberglass reinforced when manufactures insert a fiberglass mesh in the asphalt, and organic shingles using recycled paper as support. In both cases, the shingles will be topped with granules to increase durability.
- Metal – is a rigid type of roofing with seams reinforcing the whole structure and giving a sturdy aspect. Like the asphalt shingles, the metal roof can also be painted or toped with granules for an esthetic look.
- Clay tiles – this type of roofing was traditionally used until recently when it was replaced by other types of shingles, mainly due to its weight and cost.
How long should a roof last?
Your roof is meant to last anywhere between 20 to 50 years or more, depending on the type of shingles you used. For example, the asphalt shingles have an expected lifetime of 20 years, while the clay or cooper roofs can last over 50 years.
Equally important for a roof lifetime is the workmanship. A quality West Chester roofing project completed by Expert Roofing of Westchester will ensure many years of operations with no leak!
Expert Roofing Contractors of Westchester
75 Virginia Rd, Valhalla, NY 10595
View Larger Map